Thursday 5 June 2008

The Orange

The Orange by Wendy Cope

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave
They got quarters and I had a half.
And that orange, it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.
The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.

I love this poem, for me it sums up how everyday things can make me happy. Since Husband got ill back in April things have not been easy. Husband has been stressed about work and had unrealsitic expectations about how quickly he would recover. He has been impossible at times. Being out and about has been better for me and the children but I've had to be home more as he needed me. This week things have picked up a lot. Husband still has no choice but to take it very easy but has realised he does have a choice in how he deals with the situation and he has stopped stressing about it all. He doesn't 'do' illness, or being vulnerable, or not working and he couldn't accept things. It took a long chat with a GP to help him accept his limitations at the moment. So after what seems like ages we are all enjoying the small things - sharing a meal together, going for little walks, just being together and making the most of this time we have all at home. I am grateful or this.





1 comment:

Kate Lord Brown said...

Hello - Thank you! I hadn't read this Wendy Cope and it has made my day. Remember seeing her in mid-80s at a school career's day in Devon, and thinking 'Wow ... that's what I call a job'. Best wishes to you and yours - Kate